Monday, June 4, 2012

I started this Blog several days ago at home, I am now in North Carolina, unable to up load again. I decided to just post this anyway. So here it is: Today I am going to write from my home computer.  It seems to be more friendly to my blog.  I can post pictures!  See. This is our back yard as of  last Saturday. The story of this picture started last January. Up til January we had papaya trees in our back yard. They had been through several years of growing and freezing. They would make fruit but it would rot before the fruit ripened. So year after year, we had a mess to clean up. The roots of the trees, combined with other factors, left our yard almost grassless. The grass that was left was not in good shape so we needed to make a decision. In January we took the trees down, roots and all, and started working on getting rid of the weeds in the "grassy" area.  We did not know exactly what we were going to do with that area, but it was a start. We thought about putting in a stone patio or trees and grass, or just grass, we just did not know. January turned to Feb and Feb to March with no decision in sight. In March we welcomed Natalie, our first granddaughter, into the world, in North Carolina.  While we were there for Natalie's birth we saw a garden, in Jed's back yard he had redesigned.  (Jed is our son) He had added gardening boxes to the outside edge of his existing garden, and it was a lovely sight to see. We were inspired and came home with thoughts of how to create a garden in our space. I drew a design and gave it to Pat (my hubby) to see. He liked it, so we were set.  First we bought enough lumber to make two of the four triangles, they are 12x8x8. On Easter Sunday, in the afternoon, Pat and a friend made, placed and leveled the first two. The following weekend we made another trip to LOWES for the rest of the lumber. Pat and I put those together, placed them and leveled them and started filling them with compost.  It took several trips to the free compost place to filled all 4 triangles. For good maeasure, we bought a yard of compost from a local garden place and put it on as a top layer. The picture I've posted is the finished garden. As I said in my opening, I'm in North Carolina and am finishing this post on my ipad...and so far I can't figure out how to insert pictures on the iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment