Friday, June 1, 2012

Good morning

It's early. I like to get up at this time to settle my thoughts on the Lord for the up coming day by reading the Bible and having a cup of coffee. This often triggers thoughts of family and friends so I pray for those people and sometimes I will shoot off an email to one or more of my folks. This morning I had a wonderful idea, I would use my "Blog" to share a thought or two. I could not locate my dashboard(you guessed it, I'm on my iPad) so it took me about 10 minutes of searching. I am happy to report that I found the "Dashboard", so here are those thoughts..... Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:21) I think of evil as really BAD things,like shooting innocent people, talking ugly about someone even if it is true, being jealous of something belonging to another, and granted those are pretty evil. But as I was reading in Romans 12:9-21 I was surprised by some things listed there for us to pursue so as not to be overcome with evil. Here they are: v.9 let love be genuine, v.10b outdo one another in showing honor, v.11 do not be slothful in zeal, v.12 rejoice in hope, be patient in tribualtion, be constant in prayer, v.13 contribute to the needs of the saints, seek to show hospitality, (not to skip verse 14, but on to 15) rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep, v.16 live in harmony with one another, v.18 live peaceably with all. v.21 do not be overcome with evil but overcome evil with good. The one verse that really captured my imagination, out of all those commands, is 10b, "outdo one another in showing honor". It jumped off the page when I read it both yesterday and today. I think honor is a lost virture. I have believed,in the past, that you give honor to whom honor is due. But what consitiutes "due"? I have given honor to teachers that I did not much like, or sales people that did not do a great job, but...for daily ways to implement this "outdoing" into my walk with the Lord, my husband came to mind, (he works from home, so we are together in the house everyday). I imagine he would be glad to know I'm having these thoughts. But really, can I "outdo" him in showing honor? I'll keep you posted on this journey as I work out this LITTLE command into my walk with the Lord. God says these pursuits will keep me from falling headlong into evil, that sounds great. And I might be a blessing to someone in the process. Now that would be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment